Skip to main content

Homemade Battery Powered Tube Amp

 After my first tube amp, I decided to try a battery powered one. There is not a lot of information about guitar tube battery powered amps on internet, but I found some resources. My search began on YouTube and I found a video of a guy that wrote the schematic link in his video description here. I just followed it, mounted the components of the amp (all point-to-point wired) inside a large tin can and used my small 6 inch speaker connected to it.

The amp is powered by 10 x 9v batteries ( for tube plates ), one 1.5v battery ( for tube filaments ) and 3 x 1.5v batteries in series, providing 4.5v of negative bias.

The tubes used, are one 1Q5GT and two 1T4, early used in battery powered radio receivers.

It has just two controls - volume and tone.

Here is the schematic:
schematic
Here is the power supply schematic:




And here, the built amp:



Check out my videos on YouTube of this amp playing a song from my computer and also a song from my guitar:



Hope you enjoy and if you plan to make an amp like this, let me know if you have any doubt and I will also be happy if you show me the results.

If you like my content, please subscribe to my YouTube Channel because I plan to post more videos about DIY stuff I'm doing every day.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simple Arduino Metal Detector

 One of my favorite electronics projects are metal detectors. I'm trying to build some famous and more complex detectors like the TGSL (VLF) and the Delta Pulse (PI) but I also decided to try a very simple approach - using an Arduino and a few electronic components. As I also work with programming, it was very interesting to join the 2 areas (electronics and IT). The detector works as an "educational" purpose as it detects a large coin at about a 3-4 centimeters distance from the coil while professional detectors can detect objects at a very larger distance, although it can be a great opportunity to learn more about how metal detectors work (in this case using the Pulse Induction technology). I found this project in a YouTube video, and it is not created by me but I'm sharing it with you. In my test, I replaced the LED with a piezo buzzer, so, the components I used were: - 1x Arduino UNO - 1x protoboard (optional as you can mount the components any other way) - 2x 220

Homemade vacuum forming (from fail to success)

This is my homemade vacuum form device first try. I want to make a metal detector coil housing but I failed at the first time. May be due to using a too thick plastic (2mm polystyrene) or not enough temperature. The vacuum is obtained from a small vacuum cleaner (1400W) Here are some pictures of the device and a video. Next time I will try with a thinner plastic or other type (ABS). Part 2 - After some fails, the success! Well, today I will talk about the second try. I'm using the same type of plastic - polystyrene, 2mm but now I have a thermometer so I can measure it's temperature. I also added some screws to the frame, so I can prevent the plastic sheet from moving with the heat (because of expansion / contraction) and finally I got a good result as you can see below: I kept the plastic in the oven until it reached about 150 degrees celsius at the center of the sheet. Almost perfect. Not 100% because it seems I moved slightly the form out of place and it is not centered. Here